DuraBrite Provides the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) with the industry’s most advanced portable lighting solutions.
When the FDNY was looking to upgrade portable lighting solutions, they highlighted several must-have criteria including performance, efficiency, brightness, functionality, lifespan, durability and price points.
- Durability and Reliability: Firefighters work in harsh and challenging environments and their lighting equipment needs to be rugged, reliable, and able to withstand tough conditions without fail. We recommended our Explorer X7 and X16 models, lights built to perform in the harshest circumstances on Earth. These lights are proven to withstand both high and low temperatures, intense vibration, pressure and impact, corrosive salt water, water ingress, and heavy smoke.
- Bright, Focus and Illumination: In emergency situations, visibility is crucial, which requires bright and focused beams of light to help firefighters see clearly in dark or smoky areas. The Explorer series provide both 20-degree optical beam patterns for distance and 80-degree beams for scene lighting scenarios. The 20-degree spot beam is particularly effective in lighting high-rise buildings over 500 feet tall.
- Battery Lifespan: Firefighters work for extended periods of time, especially during emergencies. They need lights packing with long-lasting battery life, to ensure they don't run out of power in critical moments. The Explorer X16 Portable light offers maximum brightness for almost 8 hours on a single charge. In fact, at max power, this light can be excessive, so you can dim it down, extending run times on a single charge, up to 24 hrs.
- Water and Heat Resistance: Pressurized hoses and extreme temperatures will damage most lights, but well-designed water and heat resistant lighting will continue to function optimally under these conditions. Leveraging our history of electronics design built for harsh environments, DuraBrite has produced lights perform flawlessly in extremely high and low temperatures, salt water environments, heavy downpours and when exposed to high pressure water jets, strong vibrations and even steep drops.
- Hands-Free Options: Firefighters need both hands free to handle equipment and rescue victims. The Explorer X7 portable light can easily be mounted and removed from equipment in seconds, with a host of different attachment options including suction cup, magnets, rail ties, tripods, and more.
- Lightweight and Ergonomic Design: Carrying needlessly heavy equipment can restrict movement, and we've received strong feedback on DuraBrite's lightweight and ergonomic lighting solutions. The Explorer X7 was a favorite among firefighters thanks to its low 5lbs weight and small form factor, allowing for a one person carry with ease.
- Multiple Lighting Modes: Different situations require different amounts of illumination. Lights featuring multiple modes including high, medium, low, and strobe lighting, offer the flexibility needed to adapt to various scenarios. Notably, both Explorer models offer a full range of functionality including dual mode light temps, spot to flood optics, and color changing options with strobe and flash modes.